Manager, Construction and DevelopmentFort Lauderdale, Florida AutoNation Headquarters Requisition ID 2019-114748
Under the direction of the Director, Construction and Development, assist in managing all aspects of development and construction with respect to various projects (i.e., ground-up, renovation, and acquisition) simultaneously, to meet facility standards of the manufacturer and the facility needs of the company. Assess project requirements and manage outside consultants to conform with project requirements. Coordinate real estate planning, development of architectural plans, engineering (where applicable), permitting, bidding and construction in an orderly, timely and cost-efficient manner to maintain budgets and schedule commitments both internal and external. Responsible for 20-30 projects and $80-100 million in capital expenditures.
Corporate Directors and Managers, Store General Managers, Region/Market VP’s, Region/Market Presidents, Designstaff, contractors, FF&E vendors, suppliers, architects and engineers.
- Oversight of all construction functions across the portfolio of projects directly managed to include establishment of project permit strategy, overall schedule, budget, administration of contractor bids, selection of build methodology, project phasing and final turn over to the Facilities team.
- Source and manage a variety of general contractors in major markets.
- Administer the project contractor selection process including hard bid and negotiated projects.
- Establish appropriate scope for project engineering services and commercial terms of such agreements.
- Responsible for integration of the project’s design, real estate, legal, due diligence, financial and technical details as the disciplines relate to the project’s success defined by budget, schedule and risk mitigation factors.
- Throughout the project’s life, ensure through consistent coordination with the Design team to ensure the Manufacturer’s required scope is delivered.
- Travel to sites to coordinate architects, engineers, contractors, and other consultants to insure optimal project delivery.
- Coordinate temporary operational accommodations with field and corporate operations personnel to mitigate business disruptions during project construction
- Coordinate purchase and installation of FF&E for project.
- Review applications for payment, PO’s and change orders and recommend approval or rejection.
- Coordination of facility programming, schematic design, due diligence and preparation of AIA contracts for full plans and specifications, including all entitlements and permits. Evaluate bids for projects and select team.
- Prepare and monitor construction budgets for individual projects and assist in preparation of annual capital plan.
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with the Company’s Vision, Mission, and Values in all interactions with customers, co-workers and suppliers.
- Adheres to all company policies, procedures and safety standards.
- Four-year college degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering or related discipline.
- 5+ years’ experience in commercial project/construction management, or
- 5+ years working experience in the field for a commercial general contractor.
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Contract negotiation and previous experience with bidding and awarding contracts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have and maintained an acceptable and safe driving records.
- Must meet company’s requirements for employment.
Next Possible Position:
Director, Construction and Development
- Ability to travel 35% of the time,
- Ability to work under pressure,
- When visiting project sites, incumbent may be exposed to varying environmental conditions (ie, outdoor weather, dirt, dust, work site hazards).
- Ability to operate an automobile.
- Prolonged periods of personal computer usage and data entry
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those specifically presented.